All the essential facts on ancient Egypt covering mummification, the pharaohs, the pyramids and the mysterious rituals.
The ancient Egyptians have fascinated and enthralled the minds of millions down the centuries. With extensive scientific knowledge, splendid architecture and many artistic and cultural achievements, their civilisation stood apart as being ahead of its time. This compact and informative guide is perfect for all those studying ancient Egypt, visiting the sights, or curious to find out more about this fascinating period.
Includes a wide range of topics such as:
- Geography - how the Nile added to the success of their civilisation
- History - a timeline spanning 3,000 years from 3100BC to 395AD and covering each dynastic period
- Religion - the role of the gods and goddesses
- Pharaohs - Cheops, Nefertiti and Tutankhamun
- Life in Ancient Egypt - different levels in society, the jobs, family life, leisure activities
- Learning and knowledge - the hieroglyphs, the scribes
- War - the armies, weapons and armour
- Death, funeral rites and mummification
- Tombs and pyramids
- Egypt today - archaeology, discoveries and what one can see today
About the Author: David Pickering is the author of "Ancient Greece," "Ancient Rome," "Cassell Companion to 20th Century Music," "Cassell's Dictionary of Superstitions," "Cassell's Dictionary of Witchcraft," and "Dictionary of Classical and Biblical Allusions."