Comprehensive textbook resource on distributed systems--integrates foundational topics with advanced topics of contemporary importance within the field
Distributed Systems: Theory and Applications is organized around three layers of abstractions: networks, middleware tools, and application framework. It presents data consistency models suited for requirements of innovative distributed shared memory applications. The book also focuses on distributed processing of big data, representation of distributed knowledge and management of distributed intelligence via distributed agents. To aid in understanding how these concepts apply to real-world situations, the work presents a case study on building a P2P Integrated E-Learning system. Downloadable lecture slides are included to help professors and instructors convey key concepts to their students.
Additional topics discussed in Distributed Systems: Theory and Applications include:
- Network issues and high-level communication tools
- Software tools for implementations of distributed middleware.
- Data sharing across distributed components through publish and subscribe-based message diffusion, gossip protocol, P2P architecture and distributed shared memory.
- Consensus, distributed coordination, and advanced middleware for building large distributed applications
- Distributed data and knowledge management
- Autonomy in distributed systems, multi-agent architecture
- Trust in distributed systems, distributed ledger, Blockchain and related technologies.
Researchers, industry professionals, and students in the fields of science, technology, and medicine will be able to use Distributed Systems: Theory and Applications as a comprehensive textbook resource for understanding distributed systems, the specifics behind the modern elements which relate to them, and their practical applications.
About the Author:
Ratan K. Ghosh, PhD, is formerly a Professor of the Department of CSE at IIT Kanpur. At present, he is affiliated to BITS-Mesra as an Adjunct Professor and to Kaziranga University-Jorhat as a Distinguished Visiting Professor, Mentor and Advisor. He is a Life Member of ACM. He authored the Springer Research Monograph titled Wireless Networking and Mobile Data Management (April 2017).
Hiranmay Ghosh, PhD, is a former Adviser and Principal Scientist of TCS Research. He received his PhD degree from IIT-Delhi and his B.Tech. degree from Calcutta University. He is a Senior Member of IEEE, Life Member of IUPRAI, and a Member of ACM. He authored the Wiley title Computational Models for Cognitive Vision (2020) and co-authored of the CRC Press title Multimedia Ontology: Representation and Applications (2015).