About the Book
The definitive resource for designing and implementing evidence-based rehabilitation programs using therapeutic exercise Written and edited by top experts in their fields, Musculoskeletal Interventions provides the rehabilitation techniques, strategies, and considerations you need to effectively treat patients of all ages, abilities, and functional levels. With expanded coverage of movement systems, along with clinical pearls and hundreds of illustrations, this edition has been fully revised to reflect a contemporary movement system approach patient care. It focuses on the practical application of theory in a clinical setting, making it ideal for students and experienced physical therapists alike. Designed to make finding what you need quickly and easily, Musculoskeletal Interventions is organized into five sections: Foundations of the Rehabilitation Process
Treating Physiologic Impairments During Rehabilitation
- Introduces the human movement system, the Guide to Physical Therapist Practice, and the clinical reasoning process
- Provides grounding on tissue healing, the Neuromuscular Scan Examination, pain, posture, and function
Tools of Rehabilitation
- Details general impairments that require attention throughout the rehabilitation process
- Covers muscle performance, endurance and aerobic capacity, mobility, range of motion, and neuromuscular control
Interventions Strategies for Specific Regions
- Explains how to achieve optimal outcomes using various tools, including plyometric exercise, open- and closed-kinetic chain interventions, proprioceptive neuromuscular facilitation techniques, joint mobilization, postural stability and balance interventions, core stabilization training, aquatic therapy, functional movement screening, and more
Special Considerations for Specific Patient Populations
- Describes applications of techniques and interventions related to common movement-based, overuse, traumatic, and postoperative musculoskeletal dysfunction
- Provides guidance on conditions common to the shoulder complex, elbow, wrist, hand, digits, groin, hip, thigh, knee, lower leg, ankle, foot, and spine
- Discusses pathomechanics and injury mechanisms while focusing on rehabilitation strategies and concerns for specific injuries and providing example protocols
Musculoskeletal Interventions is filled with features that help you understand and retain critical information. Learning aids include objectives, tales, clinical pearls, figures, video links, summary points, chapter-ending treatment guidelines, and references.
- Provides application of all previous intervention strategies and how these may need to be selected, adapted, and utilized for geriatric patients, pediatric patient, and physically active females
About the Author: Barbara J. Hoogenboom, EdD, PT, SCS, ATC, is Professor and Associate Chair in the Physical Therapy Department of Grand Valley State University in Grand Rapids, MI.
Michael L. Voight, DHsc, OCS, SCS, ATC is Professor, Physical Therapy Department, Belmont University, as well as an adjunct associate professor at Vanderbilt University School of Medicine in Nashville, TN.
William E. Prentice, PhD, PT, ATC, is Professor of Exercise, and Sport Science and Coordinator of the Sports Medicine Program at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.