The fastest way for professionals to master technical writing!
You're a technical professional, perhaps a programmer, engineer, or scientist. You are not a professional writer, but writing is part of your job (specs, manuals, proposals, lab reports, technical presentations, Web content, data sheets, and so on).
Welcome. This book is for you. It's all you need to clearly communicate technical ideas to any audience--technical or nontechnical--and motivate them to act.
Barry J. Rosenberg organizes every facet of effective technical writing into more than 175 short, concise, fast-paced tutorials. You'll find loads of examples (what to do and what not to do) plus start-to-finish instructions for writing exactly the kinds of documents you need to create.
Need specific solutions? This book's bite-size, visual, high-efficiency format delivers them instantly. Dig in, get started, and get results!
- Make all your documents and presentations clearer, more concise, and more compelling
- Understand your audience, and target your content appropriately
- Learn how to write for an international audience
- Use active voice to communicate with confidence and authority
- Produce effective lists, tables, and graphics
- Create useful examples
- Write effective manuals and release notes
- Implement solid technical Web sites
- Develop winning research, business, and book proposals
- Create and present compelling PowerPoint presentations
- Write e-mails that don't ignite flame wars
- Learn how to integrate documentation development into best engineering practices
Downloadable examples are available on the Web.
About the Author:
Barry Rosenberg is the author of more than sixty corporate technical manuals, primarily on programming. An experienced instructor, Barry has taught everything from high school physics to weeklong corporate seminars on data structures. Most recently, he spent four semesters at MIT, where he taught advanced technical writing. Barry currently works as the documentation manager at 170 Systems.